Upgrade to ITM 6.2.3 or 6.3 ?
Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)
2013-10-24 20:51:13 UTC
Hi List,

We have been at ITM 6.2.2.5 for a while, and we're looking at upgrading. We had planned on going to the most current fixpack of 6.2.3, but we are now considering going to 6.3. Do you have any experiences you could share as far as stability, upgrade problems, etc in going to 6.3?

We run mostly OS agents plus a few Agent-Builder and Universal agents, and we're feeding events thru Omnibus 7.3.1.

Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.

-James
John Alvord
2013-10-25 16:02:28 UTC
You have two potential goals

1) For maximum stability, get the latest maintenance level that is in
fix-only status. You can easily spot fix-only status by checking the
publications. For ITM 623, GA and FP1 have new doc and that means that ITM
623 FP2/FP3/FP4 are in [mostly] fix only mode. They also have most
customer experience. The [mostly] refers to some serviceability changes
that are added in to tune up the product. [One example is the APAR fix in
ITM 623 FP4 to warn when a situation is "Filter object too big"].

2) For maximum features, get the latest maintenance level. ITM 630
GA/FP1/FP2 all have doc and so all come from Development and have really
amazing new features. Great stuff. But they lack the depth of customer
experience and related APAR fixes.

APAR fixes in ITM 623 are usually cloned into ITM 630 - so there is a
general overall improvement.

You can chose which goal is most important to you and go that way.

Just my humble opinion - probably not the official path.

Regards,

John Alvord
Advisory Engineer and ITM Historian
IBM Tivoli Monitoring 6 Platform
Customer Support
Office: 1-720-396-2788
Mobile: none
jalvord-r/Jw6+rmf7HQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org

Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure
IBM Support Portal
Open a New Service Request
Update your PMR via Email
Escalate your PMR
My Blog: Wonderful World of Situations
Secure upload to ECUREP

From: "Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)" <james.e.redus.civ-***@public.gmane.org>
To: "tme10-***@public.gmane.org" <tme10-***@public.gmane.org>,
Date: 10/24/2013 01:53 PM
Subject: [TME10] Upgrade to ITM 6.2.3 or 6.3 ?
Sent by: tme10-bounces-***@public.gmane.org

-James
Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)
2013-10-29 14:26:26 UTC
Thanks for the info John.

We are hesitant to go to the latest version, and are more interested in stability versus new features, but another consideration for us is the support for Java 7 in 6.3. In our environ we are required to keep up-to-date with Sun/Oracle Java (the latest version of which totally broke the TEP Webstart), and it is looking doubtful that 6.2.3 will work with future versions of Sun JRE7.

Thanks again,

-James

***@us.ibm.com<mailto:***@us.ibm.com>

Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure<http://www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/>

IBM Support Portal<https://www.ibm.com/support/>
Open a New Service Request<http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Open_service_request/>
Update your PMR via Email<https://www-304.ibm.com/jct05001c/de/support/ecurep/send_email.html#naming>
Escalate your PMR<http://www-304.ibm.com/support/customercare/sas/f/handbook/getsupport.html#9>
My Blog: Wonderful World of Situations<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/jalvord>
Secure upload to ECUREP<https://www.ecurep.ibm.com/app/upload>

From: "Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)" <***@mail.mil<mailto:***@mail.mil>>
To: "***@lists.ca.ibm.com<mailto:***@lists.ca.ibm.com>" <***@lists.ca.ibm.com<mailto:***@lists.ca.ibm.com>>,
Date: 10/24/2013 01:53 PM
Sent by: tme10-***@lists.ca.ibm.com<mailto:tme10-***@lists.ca.ibm.com>
________________________________

-James
John Alvord
2013-10-29 15:06:19 UTC
All good points.

A recent Oracle Java exposed an ITM issue that is being worked on

Prompt for Security Warning Dialog on IBM Tivoli Monitoring Browser Client
(TEP)

and also this new APAR IV51394 TEP JWS CLIENT DOES NOT START WITH JAVA 7
U45 [Oracle Java 1.7.0u45]

The local fix is to use Browser client instead of Java Web Start,

Eventually you can track the APAR via this URL

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IV51394

I am not prejudiced either way - every path has its advantages.

Jay Slay

Jared Seaton
2013-10-29 16:46:47 UTC
Hi Jay,

Do you know if this issue is true for a clean installation, or just an
upgrade?

------
Jared Seaton

twitter.com/jmseaton
*
<https://www.facebook.com/IBMTivolisupport><https://twitter.com/TivoliSupport><https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/servicemanagement/index.html>
<http://www.ibm.com/software/tivoli//>
From: "Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)" <
To: "Discussion list for Tivoli product and Tivoli Ready
Date: 10/29/2013 07:52 AM
------------------------------
Thanks for the info John.
We are hesitant to go to the latest version, and are more interested in
stability versus new features, but another consideration for us is the
support for Java 7 in 6.3. In our environ we are required to keep
up-to-date with Sun/Oracle Java (the latest version of which totally broke
the TEP Webstart), and it is looking doubtful that 6.2.3 will work with
future versions of Sun JRE7.
Thanks again,
-James
Behalf Of *John Alvord*
John Alvord
2013-10-29 17:25:11 UTC
Just so you know.. it is extremely rare for a provisional to be
"available" for central services programs [TEMS/TEPS/etc]. They are
created for a specific customer, a specific maintenance level and a
specific hardware/operating_system level and sent just to that customer.
L3 is always involved in deciding whether or not it can be done.

*NOTE: in the last 10 years, there was a defect in ITM 6.2 GA and a
provisional was created for all platforms and delivered via a technote.

Also, other development areas - like the OS Agents for example - do create
interim fixes which can be sent out by a L2 process.

From: "Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)" <
***@mail.mil>
To: "Discussion list for Tivoli product and Tivoli Ready products."
<***@lists.ca.ibm.com>,
Date: 10/29/2013 07:52 AM

Jay Slay

Jay Slay

doan nguyen
2013-10-25 16:15:54 UTC
We went from ITM 622 FP5 to ITM 630 FP1 with no stability problems. We run
~ 1300 OS agents and 100 ITCAM agents. We did see some sampled situations
that didn't clear, but once we updated the OS agents to 6.3.0.1, that
seemed to fix things.

We also switched off the new builtin Apache (IHS) and went back to the
old TEPS Web Server.

Doan

Doan Nguyen
Redus, James E CIV DISA CSD (US)